As part of our compliance with a new state law, we conducted lead in water testing in August of 2017, the district tested all of our K-5 schools (except Leal, because it was exempt due to the year and scope of its renovations). Although not required by law, the school district conducted testing of lead content in the water devices in each of our K-5 schools in February, 2019 (except Leal, because it was exempt due to the year and scope of its renovations).
The test results indicated that overall, the lead content in the water falls within acceptable levels throughout the district with four exceptions: four (4) sampled sites at Yankee Ridge, two (2) sampled sites at Thomas Paine, and two (2) sampled sites at Dr. Preston L. Williams, Jr., three (3) sampled sites at Wiley
– Two (2) classroom sinks at Yankee Ridge
– Two (2) classroom restroom sinks at Yankee Ridge
– Two (2) kitchen sinks at Thomas Paine
– One (1) classroom sink at Dr. Preston L. Williams, Jr. – One (1) kitchen sink at Dr. Preston L. Williams, Jr.
– One (1) kitchen sink at Wiley
– Two (2) classroom sinks at Wiley
To address these results, the district is taking the following steps:
– Sink fixtures with elevated lead levels have been shut off and will remain off until the fixtures have been replaced and a retest has been completed successfully.
-Although not required by law, the school district will continue to sample and test in all K-5 school buildings (except Leal, because it was exempt due to the year and scope of its renovations).
– Notification to parents and families currently at the affected buildings will be sent out in writing, electronically and the information will be posted on the District website.
– The test results have been sent to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
– Urbana School District #116 will continue to follow the recommendations of the IDPH.
The water supply entering the school buildings has been deemed safe and the only course of action needed is to isolate, remove, and repair elevated areas. To learn more about environmental lead exposure, please visit the following websites:
Urbana School District #116 is committed to providing a safe and orderly learning environment for all students and staff.
Questions, please contact Mr. Matthew Abbatessa, Director of Facilities Services, 217-384-3662 or email: email@example.com
Dr. Preston L. Williams, Jr.
Urbana School District #116