School Facilities Sales Tax Funds
The 1-cent countywide school facilities sales tax went into effect in January of 2010. Funds are allotted based on enrollment in each district. School districts can use the sales tax money for construction, renovation, maintenance and repairs, energy-efficiency work or paying off bond debt. Districts cannot use the money towards teacher salaries or curriculum materials.
In accordance with our original resolution (approved May 6, 2008), Urbana School District #116 agreed to use $1,000,000 of the sales tax receipts towards abating the district's current debt. In keeping with that agreement, $1,000,000 of the tax is used each year towards abatement of our 2002 bonds, which are expected to be paid off by 2018.
Current and Future Projects Funded by Sales Tax
- Urbana High School
- Central Air conditioning
- Dr. Preston L.Williams Jr. Elementary School Renovations
- Yankee Ridge Elementary School Renovations
Completed Projects Funded by Sales Tax
- Planned Facilities Improvements Overview (04/06/10)
- King Elementary School Renovations and Additions
- Urbana High School
- McKinley Field Athletic Complex
- Cobb Memorial Auditorium
- Kitchen and Commons area
- UMS Cafetorium
- Urbana Early Childhood School
King Elementary School Renovations
- King School Under Construction
- Groundbreaking Ceremony at King Celebrates New Additions
- King Students Get First Look at New Addition
- New Additions are Almost Ready for Fall
- King Elementary Celebrates Completed Renovations
- Students and Community Enjoy New Performance Space at UMS
UHS Academic/Athletic Complex
- Urbana High School Breaks Ground on New Athletic Complex
- UHS JV and Varsity Boys Soccer Teams Break-in New Athletic Complex
- Opening Night at Urbana Tiger Academic/Athletic Complex
- USD Dedicates South Soccer Field
- The majority of the interior demolition has been completed
- The 3 story court yard infill building is well underway and will have the roof on this area before winter.
- All of the historical architectural components of this spectacular space are being restored or preserved.
- The renovation schedule indicates an August 2012 completion date.
- UHS Auditorium Renovations (12/15/11)
Early Childhood Center
- New Early Childhood Center Proposal (03/01/10)
- Urbana Early Childhood School completed and opened for students August 2013.