It’s the time of the year when kids are running around in costume and candy is everywhere! Customarily, both the City of Urbana and the City of Champaign join with the Champaign County Board in setting aside trick-or-treat hours. Trick-or-treat hours for Halloween 2017 will be Tuesday, October 31, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. In addition to traditional trick-or-treat times, Urbana High School Theatre group will be holding a kid-friendly event to benefit their program the weekend before with Halloween in mind.
On Friday, October 27, from 5pm to 8pm, join the Urbana High School Theatre group for “A Night of Trick or Treating and Fun”! There will be coloring, dancing, games, photos with the cast of the UHS fall musical, The Adams Family, and much more! A Night of Trick or Treating and Fun UHS Theatre fundraiser (PDF)
Here are some general safety rules for celebrating a fun and safe Halloween. Below that, please find some age-appropriate trick-or-treat PDF messages for elementary age, middle and high school students, and parents.
Halloween Safety Tips
- Trick-or-Treat with a parent or trusted adult and stay together if you are traveling in a group.
- Wear bright clothing and carry a flashlight or glowstick.
- Stay in well-lit areas, never take shortcuts, and never go into isolated areas.
- Be alert when crossing a street. Look in both directions and make sure that there are no cars coming.
- Only approach homes that are well-lit both outside and inside.
- NEVER go into a stranger’s house or approach a strange vehicle, even if it looks like no one is inside.
- Make sure you can see and breathe properly through your mask or costume. All costumes should be flame resistant.
- If you are an older kid or young teen, and going out with friends, make sure that your parents know where you are going and who you are going with.
- Don’t eat any candy until you get home.
- Have parents inspect treats before you eat them.
- Stay alert for any suspicious incidents and report anything unusual to a parent, police officer or trusted adult.
Be Safe! & have a fun Halloween!